Friday, March 14, 2008

Scary medical term of the day

Idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura. Go on, I'll wait while you google.

I thought Katherine might have a UTI, so I took her to the doctor this morning. The CBC showed no UTI, but it showed a platelet count of 30,000. We thought it was a machine error, until the second CBC showed 34,000. That was good enough to earn us a trip to the pediatric hematologist.

The good news is that she doesn't have cancer, and ITP usually resolves. However, because of her age, they've admitted her for IVIG therapy, and we'll be here until at least Sunday.

The incidence of ITP is 50-100 per million. I am so very tired of being on the small end of the statistics.

1 comment:

Eva said...

Poor Katherine! Poor you. It must be so very hard to be in the hospital as a baby. I hope she is discharged soon and recovers quickly.