Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Pump up the volume

After seeing my new OB this morning, I'm now the proud owner of a Reglan pump and another round of IV fluids. I figured the fluids were coming, because I knew I needed them, but I was pleased to find that the doctor could set me up with home health care for them, rather than having to go to the ER.

Dr. Dreamboat left the practice shortly after delivering my girls, so I switched practices, and I think I'm really going to like my new OB. She's nice and friendly and such, but the overriding impression I get is of professional competence, if you know what I mean. I think I'll call her Dr. Pro. Anyway, she had hyperemesis too when pregnant, so she didn't dork around or "cracker" me, just sent me over to the home health people. They got me fixed up, and things are starting to look up.

After one bag of fluids and twelve hours on the Reglan pump, I'm already feeling like a new woman. I successfully ate a little bit of chicken and drank a whole glass of tea (not at the same time), and my wicked starvation-induced headache is gone. Best of all, I haven't thrown up, or even really felt too nauseous. I think this might be the ticket.

She said I can probably expect another six or eight weeks of this, because sickness usually lasts longest in those who have it worst. I knew that going in, but if the pump works and home health can handle rehydration, it's a lot less grim a prospect than I'd thought.

2 comments:

Ms. Perky said...

I'm so glad you've got an OB willing to treat the hyperemesis aggressively. Too many OB's dismiss women's complaints of hyperemesis as "oh, all women are nauseated when they're pregnant" without a second thought.

Even with my triplet pregnancy, I had a hard time getting doctors to believe that, NO REALLY, I couldn't even keep fluids down some days! Fortunately, round the clock doses of Zofran pretty much kept me in check. Still, I lost about 30 pounds in my pregnancy (fortunately for me and the babies, I had plenty of extra poundage to lose, so it wasn't the end of the world).

Amanda said...

I just found your blog and this post. It seriously brought (is still bringing) me to hard core tears. I finally got my OB's office to take my sickness seriously and they've referred me for a Reglan pump. After reading that you were actually able to eat after you got yours I can now hope (pray & beg) that it will help me too. Thank you.