Thursday, August 30, 2007

My tiny vampire

When the girls were undergoing the growth spurts that all tiny babies do, I called them my tiny vampires. It sure felt like they were sucking the life right out of me, on those days when they nursed ten or twelve times apiece, or for hours at a stretch. I watched the weight fall off me, and looked at my still-anemically-pale skin, and realized just how much energy it really takes to nourish two other human beings.

Those days are firmly in the past, now. The girls are still growing fast -- Claire is 17.10 and Katherine is 19.4 -- but we are down to morning/evening nursing only, and in two weeks or so, they'll be done. I haven't seen the tiny vampires in quite some time, and I didn't think I ever would have reason to call them that again.

Yesterday, Claire was having a very bad day indeed. She has a cold, as does Katherine, and is snotty and cranky and feverish. She wanted neither to be held or to be put down, or to do anything (as far as I could tell) other than sit in my lap, fling her head backward, and scream.

So, I happened to look down into her mouth one of those times, and got a good view of her top gums for the first time in a while. I then thought, hmmm, I wonder if she has thrush again, because look at those two white dots on her gums....

Of course she doesn't have thrush. She has two teeth, to be exact, coming in on the top rather than on the bottom as most babies' do. Better still, they don't appear to be her front two teeth. No, those little dots are definitely skewed off to the side.

Her canine teeth are going to come in before her front teeth do. My precious little baby isn't getting teeth, she's sprouting FANGS.

I guess I know what I'll be dressing her as for Halloween.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Was the moon full when you saw her teeth? :) Ace is pretty close to finishing the whole set between the canines.

EAB said...

Come to think of it, it was, more or less! Hah!

Allison said...

do you forget the pain of all the fertility treatments when you finally have your babies??

it's so exhausting, expensive, and painful......but i'm sure it's all forgotten when you hold the babies :)

Eva said...

Aw, baby girl. I didn't know she didn't have any yet! Sarah's working on 7 and 8 and Jordan must be working on something (7 through 12???) with the amount of drool and chomping going on here.

Mine love sucking on ice cubes (through the mesh feeder or if I hold it) when they're teething, for what it's worth.

Thalia said...

can't wait to see the pics of her dressed as a vampire. Do they make baby vampire outfits? Will you dress katherine as Buffy perhaps?

So glad to hear that everything is going so well.

Jody said...

Oh, I love Thalia's idea!

Although a baby dressed in some of Buffy's outfits, I don't know....

Try to share a photo of her mouth once the teeth are in!

Maggie said...

Happy birthday, Katherine and Claire!!!