Friday, November 02, 2007
Katherine was less than thrilled about her costume, and refused to have anything to do with the halo.
Claire got the biggest kick out of her costume -- I had to pry the devil horns out of her hands at the end of the night. She was the perfect little devil!
We did not trick-or-treat with the girls, because I didn't get home from my doctor's appointment until nearly 7, and it's not like I need the candy. However, they were tremendously entertained by all the trick-or-treaters, so a good time was had by all.
About the costumes:
I bought the horns, halo, and pitchfork, but I made the dresses myself. I sewed them by hand, I might add, as my sewing machine chose Halloween morning to crap out. Note to self: next time, try starting the costumes the weekend before Halloween, not the morning of.... They won't win me any needlework prizes at the county fair, but they served their purpose.
These are actually the first "real" garments I've ever put together, other than some long-ago doll clothes. I didn't use a pattern, just improvised straight dresses with drop shoulders from the babies' measurements. I should have made them A-line, because the straight dresses were difficult for them to move in, and 2" of ease was just barely enough. I had a little trouble with the open side of the neckline, where it meets the sleeve, but the second dress was better than the first, and I think I understand how to do it.
All in all, not too bad for a novice seamstress, I think. I'm planning to recycle the idea, and the horns/halo/pitchfork, next year, and I will have a much better idea of how to go about the sewing.
Posted by EAB at 9:47 AM