Monday, May 21, 2007

Swing low

Claire's newest feat has left me wondering whether I'm a blithering idiot. Sure, I've seen her pull herself up on furniture, her walker, the crib, and my legs. But somehow, it still didn't occur to me that she wouldn't be safe when strapped into her swing.

It was almost like a recap of the pack-n-play incident from last week. I was sitting at the computer feeding Katherine, heard a giggle, and looked over to see Claire standing up in the seat of her swing. She had grabbed on to the side bars, and I guess she had just tucked her feet under herself and pushed into a stand. She was strapped in, but the harness on that particular swing doesn't do much to stop a baby from going upwards.

Another quick lunge from me and she was safe -- thank God I keep all the dangerous things right within arm's reach, eh? Now, I'm wondering if I'm just a dumbass for not thinking she would do that, or if that was unusually creative on Claire's part. I'm still sort of amazed that she was physically capable of doing it, especially given that the swing was moving under her feet.

So I have a few more gray hairs today, and I'm suddenly terrified of what she's going to do for her next trick. We're in the process of babyproofing the house, but I think we're going to have to accelerate the schedule.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I had my goddaughter in a car seat in the backseat once, and she started crying... I realized she had completely flipped herself over, and was now on top of the harness. To this day, I don't know how she did it. I was pretty much horrified, and pulled over and righted her and pulled those harnesses so tight that I was sure she couldn't breathe.

I really do think they're smarter than we think. Ace is starting to play the "can I get to it faster than Mommy can get to me" game. I walked into my mom's living room this morning and he was hauling diapered butt over to the VCR and started laughing and crawling as fast as he could. He wanted that wire, and he wanted it bad.

Watson said...

Hi there,

I'm so glad I found your blog, and I'm thrilled to see you have a blogroll for moms of multiples...I've been searching for some good blogs to study and learn from!

Although I must say I was shocked to see mine listed there:

ME?!? A Mom of multiples?? Oh yeah...I guess this IS really happening...

I'm assuming the inital shock of having twins eventually wears off?

:-)